Thursday, May 17, 2012

Random thoughts from the third trimester

I have now entered the final month before my due date, which is both exciting and surreal. Right now I'm focused on moving into our new house (which first has to become habitable). Once that is accomplished (next weekend!) I will be able to better prepare for the reality of this new little person joining our life. There are a few random things I would like to remember from the last couple of weeks:

(1) When I was 34 weeks pregnant I accidentally biked more than 20 miles in one day. Neil and I had a full schedule that day and getting from point A to point B was easier on bike than bus (although there was a bus trip thrown in there as well). At the end of the day I calculated all of our small trips and realized I biked more than 20 miles in the heat, which was not my intention. After that I took a good week and a half off from biking.

(2) It's getting harder to distinguish my ankles from the rest of my legs.

(3) Two days ago I was putting away dishes in our kitchen and my protruding belly managed to knock over the green smoothie I just made. I'm just not used to extending that far in front of myself and it surprises me every time.

(4) I always heard people talking about how it was hard to tie their shoes at the end of pregnancy.  I now know from experience.

(5) I was taking the bus to look at a rug I found on Craigslist. On my way home, I was across the street from the bus stop and could see the bus coming down the road. Generally that would be no problem--the next stop was a busy one and it always takes awhile to load and unload passengers. I finally got the walk signal and started hustling toward the stop, at which point my beloved Chacos that I've had for six years decided to break. Picture it please: 8-month pregnant woman running down a busy street with one shoe on trying to catch up to the bus. Did I mention it was pouring rain? Needless to say, I did not make the bus. All I could do was laugh because I fully recognized how ridiculous I looked.

(6) For some reason I decided when making a green smoothie that it was not necessary for me to hold the pitcher while using the immersion blender. I can't remember what I was doing with my left hand that was so important I couldn't stop for a minute to steady the pitcher. Result? Green smoothie on the walls, counter, floor, clean dishes on the other side of the sink, and all over me. Lesson learned. But seriously, what was I thinking?!

(7) At my midwife appointment yesterday a three-year old girl was leaving with her parents when we were arriving.  Here was our conversation:

Little girl: Are you having a baby, too?
Me: Yes, I am.
Little girl: Are you a boy or a girl?
Me: (At first I thought she asked if I was having a boy or a girl, but then I realized what she was really asking.) I'm a girl.
Little girl: Then why do you have short hair?

I tried very hard not to laugh.

(8) Lots of strangers have been asking me about my pregnancy, and almost all of them claim I am having a boy. Time will tell.

(9) Last night Neil installed the attic fan at the house. The breakers were off so he wouldn't electrocute himself during the installation. When he finished around 9:30, it was pitch black and we just had a tiny flashlight. Before turning the breakers back on we needed to install some light fixtures in the bedrooms that had been taken down when our ceilings were redone. We needed to do it that night because we had people coming in to do the floors the next morning. Picture it please: tiny flashlight on the floor as our only light, a very pregnant me holding up a light above my head (one of which had a ceiling fan attached) while Neil tried to connect all of the wires. We got four fixtures in and turned on the breakers. Our success rate? One in four. Eventually we got two of the four to work. It's now 10:45 and I'm exhausted and ready to go to bed. Neil then proceeds to tell me that he wants to finish painting the ceiling of the bedroom before he goes to sleep. I look at him like he's crazy. I did help finish the trim (which only took fifteen minutes) before I went to sleep in the other room. Crazy kid. I do have to admit that the ceiling looks great and it's nice to have one room complete. Still. (For the record, he told me I shouldn't even do the trim and that I should just go to sleep and he didn't want to keep me up.)

Of course there is no controlling when Wolverine will make his/her appearance, but I have to say that I'm hoping he/she waits until June 16th or later (although I may be singing a different tune in a couple of weeks). My favorite midwife assistant is on vacation until the 16th and I'd really like for her to be present at the birth. We also have a lot of work to do on the house, so I'm more than happy to have a couple of extra weeks to get that in order before the birth because I know it will be a lost cause for at least a few months afterwards. Now I'm not saying I want to go weeks overdue, but a few days might be nice...

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo! I love this post. So much laughter and excitement. I think ceiling fans/lighting fixtures are hard to install even in day time, so I am amazed y'all did 4 in the dark! Also, love the little girl asking if you're a girl or boy. HA. xx