Last night we listened to Christmas carols, took turns keeping HP from a complete meltdown as bedtime approached, burned dinner due to distraction, and most importantly--decorated our very own pallet Christmas tree.
Here's the finished product:
The project is fairly self-explanatory, but here are the steps if you would like to make your very own pallet tree:
(1) Find an abandoned pallet. We found ours next to a dumpster at the charter school in our neighborhood and were lucky that it was in such good shape.
(2) Paint or stain the pallet. We went with a stain so it would retain the natural wood look (and because we didn't have a background paint on hand). It was amazing how the stain transformed the pallet from a dumpster find to something worthy of being brought into the house.
(3) Paint a tree onto the pallet. We spent hours outside figuring out the best angles and design, but when the time came I didn't follow any of our lines and just painted freehand. Turns out I was over thinking it.
(4) Hammer in nails to hang ornaments.
(5) Hang on wall and decorate to your heart's content!
I'm so pleased with the way it turned out. Even if we get a real tree in the future, I think we'll continue to hang this one as a decoration to remember our first Christmas as a family of three.